1)  File editor.
a)  Relative record number.
No, iSeries Navigator does not let you access by relative record number. I
don't seem to miss that though.
b)  Hexadecimal format
iSeries Navigator does allow you to access the database with sql scripts.
SQL has both the RRN and the HEX function.  Will that help?
Example:
DROP TABLE rob.stan;
CREATE TABLE rob.stan (column1 DEC(7,0) NOT NULL, column2 VARCHAR(100)
ALLOCATE(20));
INSERT INTO rob.stan VALUES(1,'AAA');
INSERT INTO rob.stan VALUES(2,'BBBB');
INSERT INTO rob.stan VALUES(-3,'CC');
select rrn(rob.stan), column1, hex(column1), column2, hex(column2) from
rob.stan;
RRN ( STAN )     COLUMN1   HEX ( COLUMN1 )  COLUMN2  HEX ( COLUMN2 )
           1           1      0000001F      AAA            C1C1C1
           2           2      0000002F      BBBB           C2C2C2C2
           3           3-     0000003D      CC             C3C3

2)  Running ftp from the 400
You can run ftp just like you can most any other job:  Batch or
interactive.  For information on scripting your ftp you may wish to check
out:
http://faq.midrange.com/data/cache/67.html

Benjamin Franklin

"MCPARTLAND, Stan" <stanley.mcpartland@bently.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
08/09/2002 04:08 PM
Please respond to midrange-l

        cc:
        Fax to:
        Subject:        FTP and File Edit with Zero Interactive

We are considering the consolidation of our AS/400s onto a single LPAR'd
840
or 890.  Only a few of us in IT access the existing boxes via 5250.  The
minimum interactive feature is cost prohibitive for the limited use it
would
get.  We only found 2 things that we would miss if we eliminated
interactive
access: 1) a file editor with the ability to access rows by relative
record
number and display field contents in hexadecimal format;  2) the ability
run ftp from the iSeries server.  I originally thought Ops Nav might
satisfy
both requirements, but I have not found the functionality.  Any
recommendations for FTP and/or file editor utilities that run as a
client/server application?

TIA,
Stan