This is all well and good, but you might just find that:

1).   You might not be able to find the right kind of CEO's
2).   A number of creative tax measures might be created to defeat this.

All in all, it looks like a huge waste of effort and time to circumvent
something that others will inevitably get around.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                      "Peter Dow"
                      <maillist@dowsoftw        To:
<midrange-l@midrange.com>
                      are.com>                  cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: Green Streak
                      midrange-l-admin@m
                      idrange.com

                      08/06/2002 06:43
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-l

This no doubt belongs on non-tech, but FWIW:

Excerpt from http://www.house.gov/sabo/ap-ie.htm  04/07/2000

     WASHINGTON (AP) - Hoping to narrow the gap between skyrocketing
 CEO pay and employee wages, Rep. Martin Sabo, D-Minn., is pushing
 legislation that would limit the tax deduction for CEO pay to 25
 times that of the company's lowest full-time salary.

<large snip>

    Sabo's proposal is reminiscent of the old policy at Ben &
 Jerry's Ice Cream, which limited the company's top salary to five
 times the lowest salary. In 1990, after having trouble attracting
 topflight management, the ratio was changed to 7-to-1.
    The company scrapped the policy altogether when company
 co-founder Ben Cohen stepped down as CEO in 1995, and Ben & Jerry's
 had its ``Yo, I want to be your CEO'' contest to replace him.

    Still, the company's current ratio is only 16-to-1 _ CEO Perry
 Odak made $465,000 in total compensation, while entry-level workers
 make about $29,000.

    ``There is a very conscious decision for a compressed ratio,''
 said Ben & Jerry's spokesman Lee Holden. ``We pay at the top end of
 the local scale and the low end of the high (CEO) scale.''

    Sabo, who said he was not aware of Ben & Jerry's philosophy,
 acknowledged that government can only do so much.

[Currently the maximum tax deduction a publicly-owned corporation can take
for an officer's salary is $1M.  And for the cynics, B & J implemented
anti-takeover policies, forcing a purchaser to negotiate with the board of
directors; when the initial take over offers began, B & J's directors owned
47% of the stock, and the ending price 12/26/99 was $21.  They sold for
$43.60, so the owners of the remaining 53% did well too. The sale agreement
includes mandatory minimum contribution by Unilever to the B & J Foundation
of $1.1M annually for 10 years + a 1 time contribution of $5M as well as
other concessions -- http://www.benjerry.com/foundation/funding.html  You
should also check out Sweat X --
http://www.cameraguild.com/news/labor/sweat-x.htm]

Peter Dow