I finished college 29 years after I started.  Unfortunately, I didn't go to
school continuously for 29 years.  I did a couple of other things too. <g>
I think a degree probably counts for something although what it counts for
may be like Hadacol.  Hadacol was a patent medicine.  There was a country
and western singer named Jimmie Davis ("You Are My Sunshine") who later
became governor of Louisiana.  He had a radio show sponsored by Hadacol.
Supposedly when someone asked him how he could endorse it when it never did
anybody any good he said something like "I don't know about that.  It did me
$200,000 worth of good."

The degree may not give you anything tangible that will help you do your job
better.  It may result in people being willing to pay you more.  One benefit
of going to school is that you can usually find a way to squeeze in a few
courses on things that interest you.