From: Justin Houchin [mailto:justin@RELIATEK.COM]
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 13:45
To: Midrange-l
Subject: Experience vs College Degree

I know this is off the topic, but I need to ask the programming community. I
am 21 years old and have been programming in RPG and E-RPG for about 1.5
years. I  love it! But I do not have a degree. My question is do you all
feel that I could get turned down for a job over someone that has a
bachelor's degree? This has never happened to me but I do not want it to
ever happen. I am very seriously thinking about starting back to college at
night to get my bachelors in CIS. This is a very hard decision to make
because of the amount of money it will cost to go to college. That is why
I'm am trying to see if job experience would triumph over a degree. Please
give me some pros and cons on this situation.

Justin Houchin
Programmer and Web Developer
ReliaTek, Inc
justin@reliatek.com