John,

You may find it more convenient to get the PSP information from the web
at:

http://www-912.ibm.com/supporthome.nsf/document/10000031

If you order the comprehensive listing (SF97510) you will receive a text
file listing all known PTF's for V5R1M0.  This listing will specify if a
particular PTF is on the cumulative CD, if it has been superceded and if
so, by which PTF.  The listing may specify 'NONE' instead of a
particular cumulative CD number.

Cumulative CD's are subjected to fairly rigorous testing.  IBM freezes
the fixes at a particular point and then tests the functions
extensively.  So they don't do them on a casual basis.  Rather similar
to the service pack concept which Microsoft uses.  This then becomes a
benchmark for the next round.  While they are getting things ready other
fixes become available but may not be included until the next round.

Also, IBM does not always include all PTF's on the cumulative CD if they
are providing new features, as opposed to fixing something that is
broken.  If you were running a fairly generic suite of RPG applications,
you might never need to consider applying a database group CD.  However,
if you were pushing the leading edge of SQL functions, you might get the
database group CD on a regular basis.

The HIPERs are just what the name says, they are fixing a problem which
has a very high impact and/or is pervasive (on most installed systems).
Frequently they are solving a problem caused by a previously-issued PTF.

SF98510 is a text file; everyone gets the same one, regardless of what
software they may have installed.

For my own systems, I deal with cumes and hipers, and only apply the
group PTF's when I have a specific need.

I don't know if this answers your particular concerns or not.  I've been
dealing with the AS/400 since it was announced and cumulative PTF
distributions have never been all-inclusive.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse