>When I use my cable internet (1500/128) to connect to our corporate VPN
>(and the iSeries through that), I can expect about 90% reliability.
>
>When I am using my DSL (512/512) to connect to various services (including
>netshare400), I get 99.9% reliability.

David --

Could you clarify for me what those numbers might mean?  I can't imagine
that 36 days out of 365 you get nothing at all from your 90%
reliable cable modem.  Or 3 days out of the year the 99.9% reliable DSL
doesn't work at all.

On the other hand, I am not sure that I would be very effective working on a
system that scrambled 10% of every screen.  Is it always the same 10% or
does it move around a bit?

Thanks,

-- Charly

>From: "David Gibbs" <dgibbs@mks.com>
> > In your expereince what is the reliability of running TN5250e sessions
> > (display, printer, and/or file transfer) over the public Internet via
>DSL
>on
> > one or both sides with MPPE encrypted VPN tunnels intact?
> > Are you dropping sessions?  losing printed reports?  etc.
>
>DSL reliability depends on the vendor, mostly.  Some vendors have their
>heads on straight, don't oversell the market, and generally have a clue.
>Others, not so good.
>
>When I use my cable internet (1500/128) to connect to our corporate VPN
>(and
>the iSeries through that), I can expect about 90% reliability.
>
>When I am using my DSL (512/512) to connect to various services (including
>netshare400), I get 99.9% reliability.
>
>The cable internet is through AT&T, the DSL is through QWEST.
>
>Note: The reliability figures are "Gut Read Calculations" (copyright 2002
>David Gibbs, all rights reverts, void where prohibited or mutilated) and
>not
>based on any statistical evidence.
>
>david

"If you wanna end the war and stuff you gotta
sing loud." -- Arlo Guthrie

For their next act, they'll no doubt be buying a firewall running under NT,
which makes about as much sense as building a prison out of meringue.  --
Tanuki

Charly Jones
253 265-6244
Gig Harbor