Mike,

>All I know is that I only have two options: Satellite
>(still too expensive) and Wireless (if I can use it).

Around my parts, BellSouth is just starting to make DSL available in (very)
limited areas -- unfortunately not including me.  Also, the local cable company
does not offer internet though it is owned by Time Werner!

And ISDN is a metered service per channel, so for 24/7 at 128K it would run
nearly $500/month which is absurd -- I could just as well run a T1 to my house!

A local LEC repairman tells me if they could get state approval to use a certain
device they have been authorised to in a couple of other states, that they could
roll out DSL to tons of areas -- including mine -- which they currently can't
do.  I'm under a half-mile from a distribution point which would take a simple
card swap to a Catena CNX-5, which is described at this link:

http://www.catena.com/solutions/cnx5/

But my understanding is the regulatory approval is bogged down in legal
arguments over whether the LEC has the right to swap out plug compatible cards
to the CNX-5 (even in their own equipment!) when the box also service CLEC
customers.  At issue is if the CLEC "owns" the dial tone or the slots used to
provide the dial tone.  Bell South wants the ability to more a CLEC customer to
a different slot -- still providing the same dial tone and capabilities -- while
the CLECs evidently argue the LEC can't do that.

The Bell employee was kinda bummed over it, because he said this would make it
very easy to roll out DSL compared to what they currently have to do -- it
mostly amounts to just a card swap in a distribution frame.

At any rate, Satellite isn't all that expensive.  DirecPC has dropped their term
commitment and allows just monthly service now.  So I got a one-way dish and USB
setup from eBay for $76, then just signed up for monthly satellite service for
about $40 keeping my dialup ISP.  This means my net cost is over what DSL or
cable would run -- if available -- for worse service.  But it sure beats
straight dialup...

Doug