On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Vernon Hamberg wrote:

> Others CAN get to the 400 with Windows Networking over the Internet. But
> they have a different ISP.

And so can every other shmuck in the world.  This is a serious problem.

> There is a certain amount of risk involved in using an "always on"
> connection and File & Printer Sharing (also known as NetBIOS). However, our

The risk is that anyone can read your files and delete of change them.

> Clearly we are at risk right now. This 400 is right out there, naked to the
> world. We are looking at VPN ASAP.

Shut your netserver off.  Don't allow it to run without blocking access to
it from the internet.  Find a different way to share your files.  Use
email attachments or secure copy.  Using SMB and NETBIOS over the internet
is a serious security problem.

James Rich
james@eaerich.com