Walden,

Yes, I caught that part too.  I was hoping that it might work with IBM's
client.  The source I originally found that led me to their product implied
that it worked with any X/Open compliant driver.

My understanding is that the point of SQL CLI and the X/Open standard was
to make a defined Client/Server protocol where different vendors could
supply each piece.  Therefore, if IBM does their part on the AS/400, then
it could talk to any SQL CLI compliant database server.

Refer to this article on the topic:

http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=953/ddj9613a/9613a.htm

Mark

                      "Walden H.
                      Leverich"                  To:
"'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                      <WaldenL@TechSoftI         cc:
                      nc.com>                    Subject: RE: ODBC FROM iSeries
- huh?
                      Sent by:
                      midrange-l-admin@m
                      idrange.com

                      04/09/02 11:31 AM
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-l

>From: Mark Phippard [mailto:MarkP@softlanding.com]
>Here is one company, however, that does appear to provide this:
>http://www.easysoft.com/products/products.phtml

Mark, thanks for the link. I am by no means an expert on that product, but
by the looks of it it requires a piece of code on the client site (iSeries)
to act as the resource manager. While Easysoft's list of supported
operating
system is impressive, it doesn't (of course) include OS/400.

I think in the case of OS/400 to OS/400 connections IBM has provided the
necessary client and server code. However, based on what I've seen of the
X/Open specification you always need a piece of vendor supplied code on the
client.

-Walden
Walden H Leverich III
President