Vernon,

>>My mail reader does that without it being a newsgroup :)  It also sorts it
>>into folders, one for each list...

>Which do you use?

The one I use is Forte Agent ( www.forteinc.com ).  I started using Forte many
years ago because of its good newgroup capabilities (it started as a
newsreader).  It has excellent suport for filtering using prioritized rules
including sophsticated regular expressions (or you can simply segrate emails by
mailing list or whatever).

Its thread support is very good.

Its keyboard and accelerator key support is the best I've seen.  While in read
mode, there is a single keystroke option for just about everything you can think
of, making navigation and processing batches of messages very fast.

The product was pretty dormant for a long time, but last year got bought by a
company which intends to produce major upgrades.  The first will be to allow it
to handle multiple news servers at once.  Right now, you can install the program
once and make separate data subfolders with their own configurations.  But you
need to launch the program separately for each news server.

Doug