Chris --

"... the 15k drives end up costing about the same (except you get 50%
more in performance)"

I have a problem with this statement.  The implication is that
someone might see a 50 percent improvement in their disk drives.
I think not.  There are other factors that affect disk drive
performance than the rotational speed.  Seek time
is one of them.  Seek time is generally a lot longer than the
rotational delay of a 10k or a 15k drive.  So, if there were only two
factors affecting performance (actually there are more), and you sped
up one of the factors by 50 percent, you won't experience a 50 percent
improvement in the disk performance.  You'll get a 50% improvement in
only one of the factors of disk drive performance and maybe
you'll get a 5% improvement in the overall disk drive performance.

-- Charly

>From: Chris Whisonant <chris.whisonant@comporium.com>
>
>Yes, BCC is in the market. I'm not sure of any others. I am looking into
>BCC
>drives myself for this quote. They offer a 10k drive, but they also offer a
>15k drive (which IBM doesn't). They have support options and all that good
>stuff. From my understanding, savings could be gained by going with the 10k
>drives, but the 15k drives end up costing about the same (except you get
>50%
>more in performance) once you factor in support and installation costs.
>
>I was also questioning the statement Pat made that "I don't believe most
>Intel machines will call the service department
>and have the tech show up with a possible failing part without you having
>call anybody". True, but should you include that fact in a statement about
>the cost of a drive? I do agree that the support is excellent when you can
>have a drive brought in by a tech within hours and still have the system up
>and running, but support costs should be covered in the maintenance
>agreements and not the up-front costs of a drive.
>
>Chris

"If you wanna end the war and stuff you gotta
sing loud." -- Arlo Guthrie

For their next act, they'll no doubt be buying a firewall running under NT,
which makes about as much sense as building a prison out of meringue.  --
Tanuki

Charly Jones
253 265-6244
Gig Harbor