Ya' know, I read your post, Buck, nodded my head in semi-agreement
(thinking, "stop being an old fart, and get on with the new stuff"), deleted
it, and moved on to the next post.

After reading several more posts, I couldn't get your post out of my mind.
Here's why.

JMHO, YMMV, etc., etc., BUT... Searching on InfoCenter is harder and less
intuitive than in Softcopy, plain & simple.

In Rob's example of searching for WRKOBJPDM, doing the same thing in
Softcopy, the PDM manual shows up at the top of the list of hits.  And there
are no duplicate listings.  Somehow, dumb ole' Softcopy was able to
determine that the PDM manual had the highest relevance and had the smarts
to eliminate duplicate hits.  Why can't IBM make InfoCenter at least that
smart?

BTW, I checked the duplicate links that infocenter listed for "1.0 Part 1 -
Reference for AS/400 ASCII Work Station Reference V3R1"; they both point to
exactly the same point in the document!  I'd at least thought that it would
have found different references to it.  Same thing for the "2.0 ILE
Application Example for ILE Application Development Example V4R1"!  I dunno,
but I personally find it hard to put faith into a search engine that turns
up duplicate links like that.

In a later post, Rob mentioned the customized bookshelves.  I *live* by my
customized bookshelf.  In fact, I created a little 400 app that takes the
"All books" bookshelf file from the cd-rom and I can pick & choose from that
list to create my own bookshelves.  (Personally, I never liked the function
within Softcopy to create a customized bookshelf.)

Hopefully, by the time I find myself actually using a post-v4r4 box,
infocenter will have matured to the point that it is easier to use than the
softcopy I use now.

Dan Bale
SAMSA, Inc.
989-790-0507