> From: Dr Syd Nicholson
>
> The system in question belongs to a client of mine who have been
> Unix/Oracle for long time.
>
> They are stuck with CICS systems at V3R2 with no opportunity to upgrade.
> However, this situation has been in place for a number of years now, and
> still they cannot get rid of the the AS/400s. They expect the AS/400s to
> go on for at least 1 or 2 years yet.

As an unabashed AS/400 bigot, this situation definitely piques my curiosity.
I'll be interested to see how long it truly takes to replace an old AS/400
application with a Unix/Oracle solution, and whether they can get the same
feature/function.  Especially since, given the nature of the AS/400,
upgrading to something relatively inexpensive like a model 270 would give
them an impressive performance boost, with no additional development costs.

I realize you have no control.  But that makes this a very interesting test
case.  Since this is a management dictate there's no quibbling, and since
the company is obviously Unix-centric, it stands to reason they have the
appropriate Unix talent and they're going to do their best to make a good
show of the Unix conversion.  This would seem to be the optimal environment
for such a conversion, and so I for one would be very interested to see if
it goes well.

Joe