Syd:

Seems unusual that the sending site controls the names, but there always seems
to be restrictions whatever we do. (In the extreme, what if they chose library
QSYS and file name QADBIFLD? :-) )

Okay, does the file have to exist ahead of time? I mean, I realize that a
pre-existing file can have advantages in terms of field definitions, etc.; but
you'll have better luck with the audit journal if you trigger on the file
create than if you try to trigger on member. As soon as you can lock the file
*EXCL after creation, you could rename it. That lets you work with the data
while making the reserved file name available once again.

But I'm not sure any kind of audit journal monitor is going to be appreciably
faster or more efficient than a basic NEP that periodically (every 10 seconds?
60 secs? 300?) wakes up and lists the members in the target file and hands them
off for processing. If all it needs is to check the list of members, it won't
be much of a resource user... until there's actually a new member to process of
course.

Tom Liotta

On Fri, 15 March 2002, sydnic@ccs400.com wrote:

> The data will be received into a DB file member. But, yes, I have no say over
> what files/members will be used.
>
> I do do know it will always be the same file name, so this can be hardcoded
>into
> the program. I won't know the member names, or when they arrive.
>
> Quoting thomas@inorbit.com:
>
> > Syd:
> >
> > On Wed, 13 March 2002, Dr Syd Nicholson wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately, I have no flexibility or control over the software
> > > sending the FTPed data. The data will arrive in a new file member and
> > my
> > > program needs to respond to this.
> >
> > I'm still trying to understand this. Are you saying that the target
> > system -- i.e., your system -- has no say over what directory path and
> > file name is used for the transfer? (The source system decides the
> > library and file name?) Is it in fact required that this transfer be
> > received into a database file member rather than as a streamfile?
> >
> > If you could receive the transfer as a streamfile and the transfer
> > resulted in an "event trigger", would it then be acceptable for you to
> > convert the streamfile into a database format as part of the trigger
> > action?
> >
> > Tom Liotta

Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.