From: Steve Richter <srichter@AutoCoder.com>
> > the line should the cable be disconnected. Simply assume that it is
always
> > there and that it always works (and as now: hang with a Reference code
> > if not found during IPL). So, I see no excuses. It is still terrible.
> >

> The console connection has to work even if os400 is not loaded on the
> system.  So the protocol code must make a minimum of system calls.
> Probably no system calls.  If that is the case, adding any requirement
other
> then "connect at ipl" probably does more harm in the form of possible bugs
> and problems then it is worth.

still terrible.
Someone mentioned that you can plug in a new cable and the system
will "autodetect" the new cable. Why not autodetect the console cable?
This will not complicate the IPL protocol. No valid excuses as far as
I can see. But the thread has run its course and I learned something
and it is not good.