From: John Earl [mailto:john.earl@powertechgroup.com]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 11:13 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com; vuldb@securityfocus.com
Cc: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: OS/400 User Account Name Disclosure Vulnerability

Vern,

I think you miss the point of this "information vulnerability"

A user can view the results of a display library from the system request
menu, and when they do the user will see the existence of all user profiles,
even though the user does not have read (*USE) authority to those user
profiles.  This is because the library contains references to those objects,
but the DSPLIB command/display does not regulate whether a user can address
the library reference of an object that the user has no authority to.

It's not a big bug, and as you said, not particularly scary, but I'd still
have to call it a bug.

jte

--
John Earl