Perhaps you have two devices with the same MAC address? That could cause
this, especially if there's a switch or bridge involved.

Speaking of which... could this be a flaky hub? switch? bridge? router?
Is it even a routed network?  Have you tried a traceroute?  (This is
quite difficult with absolutely no idea how your network is set up.)

If none of that helps, the best I can suggest from here is that you try a
packet sniffer at various points along the network and figure out exactly
where the packet is getting to, and exactly which part of the network is
not passing the packet along.