Current issue of eWeek magazine www.eweek.com
has several articles on the problems of some computer systems eating more &
more energy, wasting electricity.  Now I happen to believe this is one area
where IBM eServers are competitive.

If you look at the current (Jan 21 2002) www.eweek.com issue, articles of
interest to iSeries enthusiasts include:

In Hot Pursuit of Energy Efficiency

Intel-based processors have an appetite for electricity as more & more
demands are placed on microprocessors.  Now I happen to believe that the main
problem is that Microsoft assumes that user capacity for monitor graphics &
disk space & high speed chips is infinite, so that new software can be
extremely inefficient & you fix that by getting faster resources.  As
computing power doubles every 12-18 months & is used inefficiently & needs
more electricity, a limit to growth will be the heat from the chips & the
energy crunch.

Feds on the trail of energy leaks

People tackling the energy crisis, such as California's, are looking at the
growing amount of electricity needed to power computer systems that are
sitting idle.

So what I am saying is that the energy consumption of iSeries, to do
comparable tasks to those of other platforms, is a possible selling point,
but there is also the topic of the energy consumption when volume of end
users is low.

IBM Open Software Model Services & Links to free downloads
http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1863%2526a%253D21058,00.asp

News & Analysis - Keeping tabs on the Money.
Bad news for us ... the US State Department is replacing "aging IBM" etc.
running COBOL with Windows 2000

AOL subsidiary Netscape sues Microsoft
http://www.zdmcirc.com/zdmcirc/popups/ewkpop.html

Editorial - Wanted: Real Desktop Innovation
I used to have a Gateway PC - Gateway bonds now downgraded to junk status.
Ironically, the article says, IBM can do more for desk top productivity than
building the hardware