Dare:

Why? Certainly preference will take a big role. For me, it's big enough that
I'd drop Query/400 without a second thought if the SQL Development Kit was
going to be included. But beyond preference, there's the initial item that you
asked about: cost.

Why pay for something that's unnecessary? QM is essentially as easy and does
more and you're going to buy the whole kit, so why add Query/400? Why add the
dollar cost?

And why add the maintenance cost? You'll possibly need to track and apply
Query/400 PTFs in addition to the SQL PTFs that you'll need to do anyway. Even
without the full kit, you'd still want to maintain the database PTFs so
Query/400 works reliably, and with the full kit, you'll want to do the full SQL
setup anyway including setting SQL statement permissions for example (so it's
no additional effort); why add the maintenance effort for Query/400?

But preference can't be argued. If you like it, that's reason enough.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.