Synapse 5250 emulations (IP Client and WinAPPC) allow you to turn
off ENPTUI and text-assist features if you don't like the "GUI-like"
effects.  Pop-up windows would then appear as on a "dumb" terminal.

Also, later versions of the products allow you to modify the color
scheme of ENPTUI objects (in the File/Preferences dialog).  Perhaps
you need an update -- which is available for free (as always) from
the Synapse web site www.synapse.com.

AFAIK, Synapse IP Client is the only product that offers both LPD
*and* TN5250E printing.  The LPD printer Daemon makes a dandy print
server as it supports multiple AS/400s, multiple output queues and
multiple PC printers (locally or networked).  If enough demand
develops for it, we could offer printer emulation alone.

If you have any questions regarding Synapse products or have any
problems at all, please contact us via email at support@synapse.com,
call toll-free 1-800-457-5250, or email me directly and I'll see
that your issues are resolved.  Synapse does not charge for
technical support of its products.

Joe Frank
Synapse Communications, Inc.