Al Mac wrote:

> Is there an IBM command out there where I can say to
> a file: Reduce the disk space you now consuming to the
> amount of space you actually need, but keep all the
> growth options. Or am I going to have to write something
> to do this, in which a parameter would be the name of
> the file to be down sized.

RGZPFM will make the space used by deleted records available to the system
again and therefore reduce the size of a PF containing deleted records.
With RGZPFM you can also specify a logical file in the KEYFILE parameter to
cause the records in the file to be physically sorted into the key sequence
of the logical, which may be useful for performance in certain situations.
You can also specify REUSEDLT(*YES) on the CRTPF or CHGPF command to cause
the system to create new records in the space occupied by deleted records.

When using RGZPFM or REUSEDLT(*YES) to recover the space consumed by
deleted records you need to ensure that your application does not depend on
records retaining their original physical position.

Generally the SIZE parameter of a physical file does not affect the size
actually allocated so there is no immediate storage hit caused by
specifying a large size for a file with only a few records. This is not
true if the ALLOCATE(*YES) option is used on the CRTPF or CHGPF command. In
this case the space for the entire initial extent of the file is allocated
immediately and retained when the file is reorganised. For obvious reasons
ALLOCATE(*YES) cannot be used if the size is *NOMAX.

Dave...
           ___________   (_)/ (_)       http://www.twickenhamcc.co.uk
The opinions expressed in this communication are my own and do not
necessarily reflect those of my employer.