Ed,

We do EDI on our AS/400 using the Sterling Gentran product.  We have been
doing it for about seven years.  Most of that has been with one large
customer but within the last two years we have probably had an active
inquiry/project  come up almost every two months now.  We have 10 very
active trading partners and expect quite a bit more this year......due to
some changes.....

I think the choice between PC and AS/400 depends on volumes and price
sensitivity.  Initially, our investment was $18,000.  The project was
started due to our largest customer (25% of our business).  Based on the
volumes (this was also 7 years ago) the choice was relatively easy for us.
I do have to admit to preferring it on our AS/400 but I am a very big bigot
when it comes to integrating technology.

I hate to admit but we do print and rekey some of the data because we have
not gotten the programming time to modify one the systems.  Everything else
we have 'integrated'.  We have custom systems that were designed with no
concept of alternate interfaces so it can be somewhat painful for us.  But
accuracy and responsiveness are much better.

The changes I mentioned earlier were that we have a lot of people
interested in exchanging data but they do not want to use a VAN..........so
we have been expanding our capabilities so that we can offer a VAN method
and a non-VAN method.  I personally like (except for the fact that everyone
wants to do it differently) the idea of server to server processing with
our customers.  So we have picked up the Trailblazer software so that we
can do SMTP, FTP, and HTTP transmits of data......and also be able to do it
encrypted.

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

mailto:mike.crump@saint-gobain.com

                    Ed Chabot
                    <echabot@marlinfir       To:     "MIDRANGE-L@midrange. com"
<MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    earms.com>               cc:
                                             Subject:     EDI at midrange sites
- Off Topic??
                    01/04/02 01:56 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

I hope that this isn't too far off topic.  I was curious about how other
AS/400 sites are conducting EDI.  Specifically, on a PC or AS/400, what
packages are being used, how many trading partners are involved, interfaced
to AS/400 systems or print and re-key, etc.

Ed Chabot
The Marlin Firearms Company
100 Kenna Drive
North Haven, CT 06473