I assume you want to prevent a really big report from printing as there may
be something wrong with it if the predetermined size limit is exceeded.

If that is the case, a possible approach would be to set the printer file to
*NOMAX and HOLD(*YES) from the start and then have the job determine how
many pages have been generated using TAATOOL RTVSPLFA.  If you don't have
RTVSPLFA you could write your own using WRKSPLFA to *PRINT.  If the number
of pages exceeds a specified limit, the job can notify someone with a
message indicating the report was placed on hold. Otherwise, the job can
release the spooled file.

That way the job ends and your backup can proceed.

Hope that helps.

Donald R. Fisher, III
Project Manager
The Roomstore Furniture Company
(804) 784-7600 ext. 2124
DFisher@roomstoreeast.com

<clip>
Without changing it to *NOMAX, is there a way to monitor for that message
(without using the system reply list), answer it AND put it on hold
automatically?
<clip>