In my opinion, which I recognize is a minority opinion, computer technology
WAS great, HAD great potential, MAY have again, but in recent years, the
overall average installed quality has been in free fall because of this
contemporary viewpoint that NEW is better than legacy that works.  It does
not matter if the new works well or as well as the legacy, it only matters
that it is new & different.

In fact the idea that upgrading to next version of Windows means that you
have to throw away all your old applications & get your data moved to newly
purchased application software that runs on the new version, that makes
absolute sense to these people who believe that NEW is the only reality worth
considering.

I personally consider that paradigm an insane bonfire of corporate funds that
many companies could be spending more productively.

There is also the contermporary viewpoint that CHEAP is better than quality.
It does not matter if tech support is in name only.  It is of no consequence
that some vendors issue flawed fixes, which ought to be tested before
implementing, what they get from Microsoft they do not know that anything
better state of art is even possible.  Who looks at operating costs?

There are many improvements we have seen in what can be done, but I am just
saying that overall, the mob of businesses buying into computer systems in
which security is a joke, data bases do not manage themselves, you have to
hire an army of people to do what the 400 does automatically built in, there
are people earning much more than I do, and they spending most of their time
replacing flawed patches with more flawed patches because their management
thinks there is no better state of art.

Let them earn more money doing a job that has high levels of frustration &
after years of doing this, what do they have to show for their effort?  A
business in the same condition as it was years ago & no end in sight for
continuing the same kind of wheel spinning.  My satisfaction is that I
develop software that helps my users & we build on our creations, expanding
the full spectrum of what we can do with what we have.

US National Security is at risk because the computer infrastructure is
overwhelmingly dominated by what was purchased by people who do not have the
foggiest notion that when you buy the cheapest possible you get exactly what
you paid for, and when you replace stuff that works good, with stuff that is
NEW, you really can be continuously worse off.

Buying into NEW CHEAP is like rolling the dice to get a random situation.
Buying QUALITY products that have guaranteed standards is the paradigm we
need to get these numbskulls back to & I have no idea how.