I used to use the Primary Cycle exclusively, because it was all I had learned.
I learned other techniques & today use them more heavily, but on occasion I
use Primary Cycle in a new program because I really need what control breaks
& matching records can do for me & I do not know how to get the same power
using the newer techniques.
I think what really cripples us is not the diversity of techniques that are
available in RPG, since a good programmer can always go dig into manuals to
figure out
what is this subfile thing
why use triggers
is there a less messy way to keep track of what line of page we are on
etc.

Rather there is the multitude of languages needed.
Someone who takes over my job managing BPCS 405 CD modifications will need to
know the right version of RPG, understand embedded SQL, be pretty swift with
*OUTFILEs & Query/400, wouldn't hurt if they knew UIM, absolutely must know
CL & DDS ... the list is much longer than it was on platforms prior to OS/400.

> I think it's rather humorous, as I think
>  it reflects on them more than me.

Oxymoron is like that.

When someone says "Military Intelligence is an Oxymoron"
that tells us a whole lot about their political viewpoint & biases
without them knowing that they are communicating that deeply.

A lot of people these days are saying "Computer Security is an Oxymoron"
which tells us a whole lot about their blatant ignorance
without them knowing that they are communicating at that level.