jt wrote:

> Brad,
>
> Been thinking about this some more...  The possibility of NLS (near-line
> storage) at FLS (fairly low "scratch" ;-) is HUGE, from what I can tell...
> This is something I've always wanted to see...:  Take advantage of cheap PC
> hardware on the iSeries...  G's of cheap memory, T's of cheap RAID..
> Accessed by OS/400...

> That's why I posted before (something like): time to market is KEY, because
> as soon as IBM gets even a whiff of your success, they may decide to market
> the thing themselves.  There go your margins...

One of the things that is key to my idea is percentage
compression , I think it wou be real nice to have a NEAR
LineStorage backup device that would hold a terabyte or more for
the average AS/400. I'm looking at a price of about $15K for the
product, including a backup device for the NLS itself.

> You may be able to make a decent living on those margins, and/or IBM may not
> enter the market...

I'm not worried.

> Now, I know your "bag" is putting together great hardware/software combos.
> But another possibility is marketing this as a software only solution, to
> run on IXA/IXS...  Ends the maintenance problem, and encourages IBM to leave
> the market to you.

That is a thought. However that makes it even easier for the
competition, and people wnat plug in and go solutions. They
weant things they can rely on and don't have to think about.

> One technical question:  isn't emulating a 7208 (a serial tape drive) gonna
> be a limiting factor in making this work as a NLS device?  The tape length
> is probably gonna be a minor issue, and probably solvable..  But I wonder
> about emulating a tape drive?

If you mean for speed, no. I am not trying to be addressable
storage for the AS/400. I want something that works with
existing AS/400 software utilities to speed up brack and
restore, reduce operator interventions, reduce the possibility
of operational errors, provide the ability to make permanent
backups (CD or DVD-R).

--
Brad Jensen brad@elstore.com
President

LaserVault Report Retrieval & Data Mining
www.Laservault.com

www.eufrates.com - Add distance learning to
your site with easy course preparation