...Neil

"Brad Jensen" <brad@elstore.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
2001/12/13 00:32
Please respond to midrange-l

        To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: 7208

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Palmer" <NeilP@DPSlink.com>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 10:59 PM

> 8mm - Exabyte
> QIC - Tandberg
>
> ...Neil

Yes, I went back and checked and we put the QIC emulation in to
talk to a smaller 400 (maybe a p02, we have one of those)

One thing I am a little nervous about, after reading someone's
comment here about using a long tape.

We are going to have an '8mm ' tape drive that can store about a
terabyte without running out of tape. Is this going to scare the
AS/400 OS? If so I suppose we could pretend to be a multitape
save. Kind of silly though.

The project is moving right along, we have simulated the AS/400
side, now my 400 expert  is writing the AS/400 side (and renaming
my commands to things that look midrangy, like wrknlscfg,
crenlsvol, etc.

Hey, if I use IBM brand disk drives in the PC, will that give you
guys a warm fuzzy feeling? That limits us to 73.3 GB per drive (I
think we can at least double that size with raid (4 drives =
double one drive, all as one space.)

IBM is pretty good now about doing maintenance on PCs, even other
brands. I hope to have their maintenance on this unit, since it
will be using off the shelf hardware (the only questionable thing
is the SCSI card, and we think that will be off the shelf also.)

How about if we do a SCSI passthru - you take your IBM DVD-RAM
drive, attach it to me, and when you AS/400 writes data I write it
to my system, then I write the DVD-RAM drive later. On the way
back, you get it direct from the DVD-RAM drive. If you ever have a
service question,  you bypass my system and talk direct from the
AS/400 to the DVD-RAM.

Brad Jensen