All,

     I am attempting an open query in a CL.  It
compiles fine, but when I run the CL I get the
following message/joblog;

 Operand for *NL function not valid.

 Error occurred during processing of command.

 Function check. CPF9899 unmonitored by MEHLD04J at
statement 800,
   instruction X'002C'.

 CPF9899 received by MEHLD04J at 800. (C D I R)

 CPF9899 received by MEHLD04J at 800. (C D I R)

the CL is as follows;
 BEGIN:         PGM

  DCL        VAR(&BEGUPD    ) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(07)

  DCL        VAR(&ENDUPD    ) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(07)

  DCLF       FILE(EXHMAS)

  RTVDTAARA  DTAARA(BACKBRIDGE (51 7)) RTNVAR(&BEGUPD)

  RTVDTAARA  DTAARA(BACKBRIDGE (58 7)) RTNVAR(&ENDUPD)

  OVRDBF     FILE(EXHMAS) TOFILE(EXHMAS) SHARE(*YES)

  OPNQRYF    FILE((EXHMAS)) FORMAT(EXHMAS REXHMAS) +

                          QRYSLT('LSTCHG *GE "' *CAT
               &BEGUPD + *CAT '" *AND LSTCHG *LE "'
               *CAT + &ENDUPD *CAT '" *AND RECTYP
               = "M" ')