Okay...  Maybe a little trigger-happy on this one.

RANT(*ON)

People (for ex: myself) should read the ENTIRE message, before replying...

You wrote "I would need to be some kind of post-nuclear holocaust mutant to
be able to do the same for problems with a PC."

I think you've found your man...  (sheesh...)

RANT(*OFF)

er.. Jan, 2002 ain't so bad...  (stumbling over tail between legs...)

jt

| |
| |
| | Excuse me if I wasn't clear in stating what I meant - I think it was
| | around 4am here in the UK when I typed that.
| | The PTF is to allow the Display Open Files option to default to showing
| | file detail, like record #, # of file I/O's, etc., instead of showing
| | Activation Group info by default.  There has been a PTF for
| this for every
| | release going back to V2R3 I think.  IBM are now suggesting they don't
| | have to provide a V5R1 PTF for this because they made some change to Ops
| | Nav to let you see the view you want.  I'm saying that, because I won't
| | use a PC as a console (I want the reliability and stability of
| a good old
| | not-so-dumb Twinax terminal for a system console) that if I happen to be
| | working at the system console (twinax) and have a need to display open
| | file details, I am STILL going to be annoyed because they
| haven't provided
| | a V5R1 PTF for this.  If they provided this PTF on past
| releases to avoid
| | the necessity of pressing F10 to see the view you want by
| default, thereby
| | implying pressing F10 was unnecessary work on the user's part and they
| | would provide a fix, are they now suggesting that it's OK for someone
| | working in a computer room on a twinax console  to have to press F10 on
| | V5R1 (whereas it wasn't deemed OK on prior releases), or maybe they are
| | suggesting you should now get up, go find a PC in some other
| room, and use
| | OpsNav on that ?  It wasn't OK to spend a second to press F10
| but it's OK
| | to wait a minute (or more) that it will take to get OpsNav to
| get down to
| | the same info ?  It's inconsistent reasoning, and I hate inconsistency !
| | ;-)
| |
| | And to clarify what I thought I said, I think OpsNav is great,
| but I still
| | want a twinax console (at least until a PC console can run with
| no Windows
| | !).
| | I don't like being forced to use a cruise missile when a .22 can do the
| | job.  I know there are only so many development staff & dollars, but I
| | still don't agree with adding enhancements and features in Ops Nav only
| | that could and should be made available in CL or for green
| screen. I would
| | argue that one of the things (small though it may be) that makes the
| | 400/iSeries so reliable is a simple twinax console you can rely
| on.  I can
| | count the times I've had problems with a twinax screen (apart
| for the tube
| | eventually wearing out) over the last 22 years on the fingers
| of one hand.
| |  I would need to be some kind of post-nuclear holocaust mutant
| to be able
| | to do the same for problems with a PC.
| |
| |
| | ==================================
| |
| | Stop Press !
| |
| | I guess IBM though I was clear enough.  Here's their reply !
| | It looks like we'll finally get that user controlled switch (via a data
| | area) soon !  ;-)
| | (PS - I said mid Jan 2002 was fine - for me anyway !).
| | ------------------------------------------------------------------
| | ------------------------
| |
| |
| | I like Neil's response. Really to the point with plenty of rational.  I
| | spoke with the developer and read him the response.  He has agreed to
| | put out a r510 ptf for this - the same as for prior releases and will
| | put something in next release such that just creating a data area (or
| | something similar) will enable the altered function.
| | He is rather involved and committed  in getting other stuff out in
| | December so he would like to target for mid Janurary 2002 as
| | availability date for the ptf.  Will you/customer accept that?
| | Let me know. THx.
| |
| |
| |
| | ...Neil
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | "Andy Nolen-Parkhouse" <aparkhouse@mediaone.net>
| | Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
| | 2001/11/30 06:44
| | Please respond to midrange-l
| |
| |
| |         To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
| |         cc:
| |         Subject:        RE: PTF for viewing open files
| | (WRKJOB/DSPJOB) for V5R1
| |
| |
| | Neil,
| |
| | I'm not sure I see the link between using Operations Navigator to work
| | with jobs and your statement that you don't want a PC console.  I agree
| | with the wariness to control a production system with a PC, but I have
| | used Operations Navigator successfully on twinax-console systems.  Am I
| | making a mistake here or has something changed?  I don't see where 'this
| | feature is required there.'
| |
| | Regards,
| | Andy Nolen-Parkhouse
| |
| | > Well, that's nice to know, but the consensus from many AS400/iSeries
| | > professionals on Midrange-L (and elsewhere) is that there's no way in
| | > h**l they are going to use a PC as a system console, and this feature
| | is
| | > required there.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
| | at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
| |