First, check out the techniques for tuning TCP/IP traffic (if you
haven't done this already!).  The Knowledge Base has a pretty good
document on it.  Look at adjusting the MTU from IBMs default of 576(this
may not be exact ;-/) to the ethernet max of 1500.

Second, do you have the host name and IP addresses specified in the host
tables of AS400A and AS400B?  This can help to avoid having to wait for
a DNS lookup 'off-machine'.

Third, You are right look at the communication trace filters found in
SST.  You can be very specific about the IP stuff, looking only at
conversations between the local host and a known IP partner.  Really
helps with the DDM issues, as everything does get time stamped.  It does
capture everything, so finding the right stuff is a problem.  Anyone
have suggestions on this?

On the network monitoring, Cisco issues, a Sniffer program is probably
the best bet.  A good one will make it easier to locate the desired
communication conversation and help to identify latency and capacity
issues.  There are many available.  Do you need some suggestions?

Another source of performance information can be found at your Frame
carrier.  They should be able to provide some detailed information on
how the network is performing, from where they can see it.

Best Regards

Fritz Hayes
Atwater Associates

|Troubleshooting the performance problems is where I need help.
|The Canada AS400A is the bottleneck and we dont have much
|access to that system. As a comm line benchmark, 400KB of
|image file data was ftp'd from the image client in NY to the
|image server in Canada. Took 8 minutes to run. 56kb line.
|
|I assume I cant run the *IP DDM in some sort of trace mode.
|Similar to TRCICF in SNA/APPC.
|
|Will a STRSST trace show me when the DDM transaction leaves
|the NJ AS400B, when it arrives at Canada AS400A, then leaves
|Canada AS400A and arrives back in NJ AS400B? Does STRSST show
|IP packets, with the ip addr and port nbr visible ? Similar to
|how SNA STRSST trace shows the controller name and device
|address before each SNA packet?
|
|Do the cisco routers we use ( model 2600 ) have a service port
|trace option similar to that of the IBM 2210 routers that we
|used to use? Where trace data is written to the service port
|of the router for each packet that is routed, and a pc ( or
|as400 ) that is attached to the service port can record the
|trace data to a text file.
|
|Is there network software that helps to troubleshoot network
|performance problems like ours?  Show when packets arrived and
|departed each node in the network ? FIltered by IP addr and port nbr?
|

|Thank you MidrangeL list,
|
|Steve Richter
|--