Hey, Hope this helps!

Found this IBM published in the Information Center V5R1.  In addition,
the InfoCenter says that they should be getting a login screen when the
password fails.  I wonder if this applies when the User ID doen't match?
User profiles disabled by AS/400 NetServer
AS/400 NetServer uses iSeries user IDs and passwords to allow network
administrators to control how users can access data. In addition, an
iSeries system value named QMAXSIGN specifies how many unauthorized
sign-on attempts disable the user profile.

A user profile becomes disabled when the user tries to access AS/400
NetServer a specified number of times with an incorrect password. A user
profile cannot become completely disabled when connecting to an iSeries
with AS/400 NetServer. If a user exceeds the maximum number of sign-on
attempts the user profile becomes disabled for only AS/400 NetServer
use. Other types of access, such as a system sign-on, are not prevented.

AS/400 NetServer uses the "last-changed" date on iSeries user profiles
to determine if they have changed since becoming disabled. If the
"last-changed" date is newer than the date of becoming disabled, then
the user profile becomes enabled again for use with AS/400 NetServer.

Notes:

The QSYSOPR message queue displays an error message that indicates
whether an iSeries user profile was disabled for use with AS/400
NetServer.

Some clients will retry a name and password several times without the
user being aware of it. For example, if the user's desktop password does
not match the iSeries user profile password, the client may retry to
access the AS/400 NetServer several times before displaying the Network
Password popup window. When the correct password is supplied, the user
profile may already be disabled for AS/400 NetServer use on the iSeries.
If you encounter this situation, the Maximum sign-on attempts allowed
system value, QMAXSIGN, could be increased to accommodate multiple
client authentication attempts. To do this, use the Work with System
Values command:
WRKSYSVAL (SYSVAL)

.
To display the disabled AS/400 NetServer users using Operations
Navigator, follow these steps:

Open a connection to Operations Navigator on your iSeries
Expand Network
Expand Servers
Click TCP/IP to view list of TCP/IP servers available
Right-click AS/400 NetServer and select Open
Click on File in the upper left-hand corner
On the pull-down select Disabled User IDs

Best Regards

Fritz Hayes
Atwater Associates
503-636-5914