Steve,

These are good ideas...

I suggested you consider a re-engineering approach a while back...  But I
don't think I explained properly.

>From what I've seen of your posts, I would assume the system has a tight
modular design.  What I was suggesting was re-engineering ***the modules
responsible for the bottleneck***...  These seem to be the I/O (which is
typically the bottleneck in all apps...)

>From everything I've seen on this list:  ODBC & DDM = *ELSTINKO; Sockets =
*ELPRIMO...  Re-engineering a small number of modules could save you a ton
of troubleshooting...  Can't help with specifics, however, but think a lot
of Nathan's suggestions.

jt