----- Original Message -----
From: <Adam_Driver@kaz.com.au>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 7:15 PM
Subject: Re: List of iSeries supported printers

You can print to it now - its on the net at pdfmailer.elstore.com

PDFMAILER is pretty simple.

You use LPR from the AS/400.

Remote system: PDFMAILER.ELSTORE.COM
Printer Queue: public
Destination type: *OTHER
Transform SCS to ASCII: *YES
Manufacturer and type: *HP5

Addressing the email:

You use the
'Destination dependent parameters 'field to specify
the -To, -From, -Subject, and -Filename
properties.

To access Destination dependent parameters, use the F-10 key

The destination dependent parameters are specified as follows:

-TO=email@domain.com
-From=Email@domain.com
-Subject=Here+is+your+print+file (**use the + character in the
place of spaces***)
-FileName=Yourprintfile.pdf

I can't send demo copies at this point, because I have to license
the pcl conversion technology and I don't have a demo version of
that to send at this point.

I can send it on a PO or emailed order, with a thirty day
moneyback guarantee (we do this on all our software.)

The additional features you can test with the live version are the
configuration of multiple printqs (although we can set that up for
you over the web also), and the default email address per printQ
(which we can do over the web also).

Obviously the download will be much faster over a direct PC
connection than over the internet, particularly from the other
side of the world as you are. (Do the electrons flip over as they
cross the equator?)

We are pricing this at $995 to make it affordable for everybody -
we hope it is a no brainer for most AS/400 shops. One copy on one
PC can server as a PDFMAILER print to email server for all your
users, just set up separate printqs for each of them. It handles
lots of download at once. If you run it on a Win/98 PC, I think
the OS has a 255 sockets open limit, so you would max out around
100 simultaneous print jobs (I think it is two sockets per print
stream, but I didn't write this one so I am not sure.).

And if you are PDF printing 1000 pages a day at an average cost of
ten cents (US) per page, payback is about two weeks.  A lot
shorter than that if you are mailing or expressing reports, or
handling them in any way.

We are also thinking of other things to do with our programmable
LP Daemon - like print a report and immediately extract the data
using our Nextract product, putting it into a web page, database,
XL spreadsheet,  XML, etc.

And if anyone has other ideas, please email me (privately if you
wish, but frankly I like the interplay on this list.)

There are other ways to do PDF on the AS/400 - including
Infoprint, but you have to do some setup or programming. Then you
have to maintain it. This is just an LPR command (although you
could do it with CL of course.)

Brad Jensen
Electronic Storage Corporation
PDFMAILER emails your reports - try it for free