> Now, I don't absolve the Community of some responsibility for
this.. just
> saying it's an expensive proposition either way.  The existing
tools which
> bypass the interactive governor are about as expensive and are
cumbersome.
> They're that way because the market will bear it.
>
> Over a year ago, Mike Cravitz (News/400 RPG guru) posted the
question
> something to the effect:  is there some easy way to change an
EXFMT to an
> API call that allows client/server programming and/or web
programming?  I
> don't recall if he asked specifically for a way to bypass the
governor, or
> not.  I never saw any satisfactory solution to that question.
>
> Not being content to talk about it, I looked into it.  I believe
there is a
> way.  But the proof is in the pudding...

The conversation about this on this list has got me thinking also.
Why not have a tool the replaces the 5250 screen processing with a
web interface? They are both transaction oriented.

I can write the web side, and it will be very fast and solid. Run
it on the INS (now I think called Integrated X Server) for even
more speed.

(We once created a SCSI download system for the PC to emulate a
tape drive to the 2621 - worlds fastest AS/400 download system.
Still works).

> I told IBM, just about a year ago, that I was not actively
pursuing it
> because I recognized the need for green-screen customers to
subsidize
> lower-cost models, to keep the iSeries competitive.  About 6
months ago, I
> told them the situation had changed, and I decided to develop
such a
> product.  That is my intention.  You may see some results early
next year...
> or you may not.  If there is little hope of this being
accomplished, I'll
> post my findings and other's can pursue it if they want.  But
first, I'm
> going to take a shot at making some money off the idea.

Again, we would like to partner on this if you are looking for a
PC-side partner. We use the IIS/ASP environment with VB6 compiled
DLLs - extremely fast. We write down to the sockets level. Weve
learned how to create and test compiled DLLs in the interactive VB
environment with ASp - kids don't try this at home. Fast
development process.

The Holy Grail would be to create a system that didn't require an
AS/400 side compile. (I don't think that is possible, but I can
hope for it.)

I've written terminal emulators on the PC side, I understand what
is involved.

Think of it - instant conversion of a green screen app to a
web-based ap.

> So if I, or someone else, develops a tool that gains widespread
usage to
> eliminate the interactive "tax", what are the implications?
IMV, there are
> several things which may, or may not, happen:
>
> a) IBM can choose to implement the governor on any tools they
want
> b) The market will have to be prepared to pay more for software,
support,
> and services
> c) The iSeries will go under, but bought by a "white knight"
> d) There will be a gradual shift, where increased sales volume
makes up for
> lost revenue
> e) The iSeries will be combined with the pSeries to make a
"super-server"
> f) The iSeries will follow the path of the S/36
> g) The iNation will save the day
> h) Other

I have to think the I-series is extremely profitable for IBM, and
that it will continue to be. Don't worry, they can take care of
themselves, and will.

And if every green screen app becomes a web-based app overnight,
this will hurt IBM how?

Brad Jensen
LaserVault - your AS/400 archiving partner since 1989