Keith,

We've been using Kronos for many years.  They offer and support many
different platforms.  We actually started using their PC product back in
1990 with limited implementations.  Back in 1998 we implemented Infinium
payroll and migrated all Kronos PC locations as well as implemented
remaining remote locations to the AS/400.  Reasons for using the AS/400
were relatively obvious - increased stability (granted the PC product was
older), centralized database, and ease of support and integration.

We have been very happy with the AS/400 based product.  About my only
caveat is that I would push for using ETH based clocks instead of TWX.  At
the time we only had wiring in place for TWX so that is what we went with.
We also use Kronos for gate-keeping systems (factory gate, storeroom gate,
etc.).  It is our standard for basic security systems.

Funny thing is, if you look at the store and foreward capabilities of clock
systems the bias towards a standalone PC system implementation seems
relatively short sighted.  If the network is down or if the AS/400 is down
you still maintain 90% of your functionality.   Also, Kronos does supply a
GUI (using Seagull technology).  It will vary but a huge amount (90-95%) of
your users interfacing with the system will do so via the clock and note
via a green screen or GUI interface.

HTH

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

mailto:mike.crump@saint-gobain.com

                    keith.nolan@dubp
                    ort.ccs.ie             To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
                                           cc:
                    11/23/01 05:22         Subject:     Time and Attendance
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to midrange-l

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there running a Time and Attendance
System (Using a Swipe Card system) that feeds directly to an AS/400, that
they can recommend..  Consultants at our company want to add a Time and
attendance system and change our Payroll system to a Windows Server
environment.  I would rather see something that runs on our current AS/400
but have no knowledge of this area to try to convince them...

Keith