There is a learning curve. I definitely recommend attending the IBM class on
BRMS. it is a worthwhile
investment.
Also, you need to be familiar with your data.  The simplest scenario is to go
to restricted state and
backup the entire system every night. Requires no knowledge of the data on your
system and the least
knowledge of your backup software. It also requires the most time and is the
most intrusive to
operations. At the other end of the spectrum, you backup logical sets of data,
requiring a minimum of
downtime, with minimal impact on availability and operation. This requires
familiarity with your data
and the backup software.

Another help is to use a consultant to assist in designing and implementing the
backup software. Work
hand-in-hand with the consultant, and you can have the package up quickly, with
only minor tweaking
required to optimize the backups.

Bob