Buck,

(I owe you one...;-)

You wrote, "Arrogance is surely in the eye of the reader."

And in the tone of voice of the writer...  I've found it's a lot easier to
communicate this, orally, than verbally.

I've wondered if people were intimidated by my "highly opinionated" posts
(to put it very mildly...;-).  I could see that happening, but it makes
LITTLE SENSE to me.

I'M THE BEGINNER HERE...!

I discuss the goings-on of a $90B company, and have written them about it.
I discuss how I think IBM works, and "trade barbs" with folks that have the
best contacts in the iSeries industry.. who've been doing this for years.  A
lot of folks here obviously have known each other for a long time, and I've
never met anyone.  (I've talked to less than a handful, on the phone.. once
each.)

My qualification to write anything is this stuff is that I own a 170.  I run
a "Mom and Pop" contract programming company.  My views represent a
community of 1 (my Wife has neither time, nor interest in this stuff).  I've
become a "successful businessman" by dumb luck, hard work, and primarily by
cutting back on the expenses.

I still remember, a year ago last July, writing my first post.  I shook like
a leaf, before I finally hit the Send...!  I don't shake like a leaf
anymore...;-)  But I usually pause, and consider whether I should send a
post, or not.  (I don't always decide to send, BTW.)

Looked at from this POV, the idea that I /could/ intimidate anyone..
Well... it seems positively humorous, from this POV.  If I come across as
arrogant, then I've written the thing wrong.

I understand my situation here...  I'm fully aware of how ludicrous it is
for me to be writing.. And the reason I write is partially to encourage
other's in this same boat that they should get up the "arrogance" to write
their views.

I believe there's a Silent Majority whose time has come to be heard.

jt

(I also believe it's my turn to be silent, and do some coding, for a time.)