Walden:

On Sat, 24 November 2001, "Walden H. Leverich" wrote:

> Next time you're worried about recommending this list because of some of the
> arrogant BS that's flung around here ask yourself, and your client this:
> Would you rather have a list of lemmings, usually driven by the vendor,
> saying nothing but all the great things about a product or a list of people
> that love the platform having (usually) well informed discussions about a
> product where there are differing ideas and points of view. This is a
> machine where there is often more that one "right" way to do something and
> these discussions allow us to explore all of them.

Why, you arrogant so-and-so (it takes one to know one)... Let me tell you about
such lists and the RIGHT way to fix problems according to such lists.

A couple months back, I had a PC failing during Windows startup. The bootlog
showed a driver failing to load and there was no other indication of any
problem. I posted all symptoms including relevant bootlog text to some major
lists and asked for recommendations. I suspect nearly all of us can guess what
EVERY response was: "Reinstall Windows."

The real problem? Well, I've never accepted the reinstall advice, never
believed it was the right answer; so I started with fundamental analysis. Later
that afternoon, I found it was simply a faulty keyboard. With a different
keyboard, all has been well ever since.

I'll take responses from this list over those anytime.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.