Chuck,

Take a close look at the hardware resources and planning documentation.
Unless something has changed, the IBM Configurator will do nothing more
than verify that you have specified enough consoles for the specified
number of partitions.  When I have configured LPAR systems in the past,
we had them verified by the LPAR competency center in Rochester.  Now I
believe that the LPAR validation tool will do the job for 8xx hardware.

Learn how hardware is shared and decide what hardware you want to share
and what would remain dedicated to an individual partition.  When you
have a configuration, you should be able to list the physical location
of every card and drive.  The documents on the LPAR site mentioned in
another response will give you a framework to do this.

I'm assuming that you can set up and configure the system.  The
documentation is very clear and fairly easy to follow.  The hardware
planning and configuration validation is imperative.

Best regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

> On Behalf Of Chuck Morehead
> To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
> Subject: LPAR Planning
>
> I have a client that is wanting to look at LPAR.  (Replace two
AS/400's
> with
> a single, larger system.)  We are just starting to examine this.
Neither
> I,
> nor anyone else here, has set up a LPAR system before.  I have found
the
> "Slicing the AS/400 with Logical Partitioning: A How to Guide" and
> "Capacity
> Planning for Logical Partitioning on the IBM  iSeries Server"
redbooks.
> Does anyone have any other suggestions for sources on preparing for
using
> LPAR's?
>
> TIA,
>
> Chuck Morehead
> Nokuse Consulting - Providing high value Information Technology
Services.
> Native Bear Software - Providing affordable Industry Specific
Software.