Steve,

I don't know the OO lingo, all that well...  But I understand the general
concepts and the objectives.  I've been using abstraction in coding, in
spite of not knowing the lingo.  Somewhere around here I gotta book by Grady
Booch (I think the name was) that I bought back in the early to mid-80's.

The reason I never read it was this:  The extra layer I'm referring to is
the learning curve.  Maybe OO really IS that great of a tool, and maybe it
never delivered on the promise because CPU processing speed just hasn't
quite caught up to what it needed to be.  But given Moore's Law, and how
long OO's been around, I suspect it's because the way it's currently
implemented, OO does not *sufficiently* justify the complexity involved in
becoming proficient.

I guess I always figured if a tool required an advanced degree to become
proficient in it, there better be a predominance of coders who both a) have
advanced degrees, and b) understand the nature of how businesses works.  I
haven't seen that happen, yet, but I suppose it still could, someday.

Thanks for the comments.

jt