For what it is worth, I have written two client server pc to as400 type
applications. One linked a visual basic graphics type pgm on a pc to the
as400 enabling the as400 user to visually see cuts that had been made in
plates of steel inventory.  The other faxes splf's from the as400 thru fax
modems on the pc. Both make extensive use of data queues, sockets, appc
carrying all sorts of messages and data between the components.

Rather than thrill you will all the boring details, I can state my doubts
with the client/server approach to programming with a few design type
questions:

How does the client know that the server is not running?

How does the client know that the server has a pgm halt?

When the client needs a response from the server, is there a wait for
response time out? If so, how long is the wait?  And what does the client do
when time out occurs:  tell the user that we dont know if their tran went
thru or not, retry, call MIS or just punt?

When the server finds an error in the transaction, how does it communicate
this back to the client in a forcefull, you must monitor for this exception
msg way?

Do the abstract/probe type cross reference packages show the linkage of
client to server like they do of a calling pgm to called pgm?

In the call a common pgm paradigm, issues like this dont need to be
addressed. Common pgm exception handling is used.

Now a framework could be designed that would handle the issues I have
described. If you were coding in C++ it could even work transparently to the
end pgmr, abstracting the interface I think is the term.  I am not some much
challenging the method, I am more asking why the effort and using it as a
way to illustrate how CFINT causes problems.

Steve Richter