Date: 5 Nov 2001 20:16:37 -0800
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
From: thomas@inorbit.com
Subject: Re: IPCS down after V4R5 restore

Alexei:

On Fri, 02 November 2001, "Alexei Pytel" wrote:

> If I remember correctly (it's been awhile since I've done this) - if *NWS=
> is varied off, storage space is backed up in it's entirety as a single
> AS/400 object - and then it will be saved with /QFPNWSSTG directory.
> If *NWSD is varied on, then AS/400 will attempt to backup it's contents o=
> a file level, and then these directories/files will be saved with an IFS
> directory where these directories/files logically belong.

Your comment made me look up details and I see that V4R5 SAVOBJ/RSTOBJ now =
allow the object type *SVRSTG -- a vast improvement since the IPCS manuals =
were printed. Much better than pre-V4R5. Thanks for that tip.

> It's much easier (and faster) to vary off *NWSD and save entire storage
> space.

(? SAVSTG ?)

> It's also much easier to restore - restoring on a file level requires som=
> very carfeul sequence of steps.

I'm not clear on your final two statements. Can you clarify any of this? Is=
 this simply an indication that completely restoring from SAVSTG is easier =
than restoring all objects from a full system save?

Tom Liotta