Good Lord - why do you need a key at all? Do you *really* think that large
shops are
going to try to stiff you over a support fee, or that small shops are really
going to have
so many users?

If you do, then think out of the box.

(1) Visit the site if you are afraid it is a large site. Get the facts. Then
set up a charge per
      incident, or per hour for support with them.

(2) Get the facts, if the site has a large machine because they have to
process something really
      fast, but only a small number of users, charge appropriately.

(3) If a site has multiple machines running the same product, charge support
by the number of users,
      or more likley, do #1 above. Let the customer decide what a support
incident is worth.

Of course, you better be *very* sure you provide good support in the cases
above, because if
you don't, then you are likely to wind up loosing a customer, or having a
customer who refuses
to contract with you for support. In my experience, which I bashfully admit
covers about 20
years now, we have dumped companies when they screwed us over, not when
support or their
product because or started off rather expensive. IBM still has good support,
though often you have
to deal with two levels of filtering before you get where you want to do.

Heck, they just came out with the 'Consult Line" service recently, where
they will help you with
*anything*, at a (for IBM!) reasonable hourly fee. You want them to research
how to do XYZ?
Sure thing, they will find someone who knows something about it and set them
on it.

I don't know how successful that will be, but I suspect it will be very
sucessful.

Even Microsoft does that, for $250 per incident.

Management of software companies are facing a totally new world with the
incursion of open source
software, which is what I think is the primary driver right now. How to
compete in a world where the
*cost* of the software itself is insiginfigant, but getting expert support
is a critical need?  It is something
a lot of us are learning, and yes, a few, maybe a lot of customers are going
to get burned a little.
Mostly customers whose companies are ran by clueless bean counters in my
opinion, but then,
you have already guessed I have strong opinions on this subject. <grin>

And I said *clueless* beancounters - not people who really research the
issues and give it thought.

-Paul