There is a distinction here - the support people and the gatekeepers.

I've had similar problems with the gatekeepers when the paperwork isn't in
order.  Like someone said, I've learned to say what they want to hear.  (How
many people have pretended to be someone else when calling because the
people on the call list aren't in and your name was never put on the list?)

Once I'm talking to support I've had superb experiences.

With the as/400 firewall (good riddance, eh?) I would have problems on
weekends where the support person called someone at their home (I think he
was Russian - Sal or Saul the name sounded like - exceptionally helpful),
and that guy eventually would get signed on to my system.  That product must
have ruined a number of weekends for him!

I can still hear his frustrated voice in my head: "Please, we must work with
one variable at a time".

Phil