Dan,

The AS/400 comes in two default subsystem configurations and the
IBM-supplied startup program reflects this.  For smaller systems,
everything runs in QBASE (I think that that is the name).  For larger
systems, memory is broken out into QINTER, QBATCH etc.  If the
controlling subsystem is QCTL, then the program will start the other
subsystems.  If it is not QCTL, then the program assumes that QBASE is
running and will not start the others.

If you've never worked with a smaller system, then you may never have
seen an AS/400 configured for QBASE.  Most systems need to have their
startup programs modified by retrieving the CL source from the
IBM-supplied startup program and then coding in whatever subsystem
startups are required.  These could be conditional if you wanted to use
the same startup program for multiple machines, but in most cases are
not.

Basically, whatever is coded in the program specified in system value
QSTRUPPGM will happen when the controlling subsystem is started.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse