Really scratching from weak memory here...

No, I haven't really figured it out.  But, in my case, being the lazy
bastard that I am, I wrote a script to automatically connect all seven
of my AS/400s from the Connections window.  I run it once after
rebooting (I usually power down my PC on Friday night) and I'm good to
go from there on out.

It appears to be an issue with the fact that I was recently migrated
from a Win95 desktop to an NT4 system.  On my Win95 system, I had to use
the AS/400 signon window once for each system after I installed CA, and
that was it.  It appears that, for NT, if your AS/400 user ID is not the
same as your NT user ID, then there's no way to avoid the AS/400 signon
window.  Maybe the different user ID's are what happened in your case?
Are you using NT4?

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company