From: midrange-l@midrange.com
Date: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 10:16:03 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Client Access and workstation naming
a quick search in Google brought up
http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4apar.NSF/ac3f091bfc0283b5862568f90073c74c/0
488b54e02abb22b86256820003649ba?OpenDocument
where the text is :
<snip>
7) Additional Workstation ID support
A new and non-arbitrary device name will be generated
for each session, without the requirement of workstation
profile customization or the use of a complicated
user exit program.
The TN5250 client will automatically derive a device
name by using the client's Windows Computer Name or
Windows User Name as a seed value. The client will
also be able to increment and resubmit the device name
if the previously derived value was rejected by the
server.
This enhancement applies to both display and printer
sessions.
Example:
Workstation ID- Anything between a bracket pair "[ ]" means the symbol is
optional.
- Anything between a set of parens "( )"means you need to
select one of the options.
- Options are separated by slashes "/".
- Options must be specified as listed in the order specified
above.
Description of parameters:
- workstation_name (for example "WS1") for Workstation ID.
- "&COMPN" means use Windows Computer Name for Workstation ID
- "&USERN" means use Windows Users Name for Workstation ID.
- "+" means, if Computer name or Users Name is greater than
10 characters, truncate extra characters from end. If not
specified, characters will be truncated from the beginning.
- "%" means preface workstation name with "P" for printer
and "S" for display session.
- "*" means append session id (eg, A, B, C, etc) to
Workstation Name.
- "in use, increment appended number by one (increments go
from 1-9, then from A-Z).
</snip>
Dipl.Inf.(FH) Rolf P Mittag
IBM Partner in Development