From: Phil [mailto:sublime78ska@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 2:01 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: CAE NetServer access to V3R2 IFS? (was RE: Client Access
"Signon to AS/400" window)

Dan,

I can't answer all of your questions.  But I'll take a stab at the one's I
have experience with.

> Answers:
> 1) I log into Novell (not NT)
> 2) I am using a Windows NT 4 (SP6) client
> 3) n/a (no NT signon, but FWIW, my Novell logon and AS/400 user ID are
> not the same)

I don't know about Novell.

Since you're using NT workstation, the WinOS will prompt you for a
userid/password if the windows userid/password is not also an as/400
userid/password.  (In Win9*, the WinOS would only prompt for a password.
This is why it's difficult to use NetServer when Win9* are on the desktops.)

> So, can I set up NetServer in this environment?  And will NetServer
> allow me to access V3R2 & V3R7 IFS via mapped drives?

I don't know about that.

> Remember the end target of this request is to be able to lose the
> "Signon to AS/400" window each time I start a session on a given AS/400.
> (Except for the first time I ever used it, I never had this on my old
> Win95 desktop.)

Do you mean the gui signon window or the 5250 screen?  If you mean you're
getting the gui signon each time you start a 5250 session (other than the
first one) I suspect there is a configuration change you can make in CAE.

If you mean having to sign in to each 5250 screen, then this may be
controlled both on the AS/400 and CAE.  I sign into multiple as/400's from
my PC which has W2K.  Some require me to signon to CAE and again into the
5250 sessions while others only require that I signon to CAE, then it will
sign me on automatically to the 5250 session (each time I "run the same" it
logs me on).  In none of these environments do I get the gui signin window
except when first signing into CAE.

hth,

Phil