> Its aboubt as good as DB2/400 but is far cheaper and scales nicely at a
fraction of the cost.

We have had many posts on this list about cost. I have always stressed what
is usually called
the TCO (total cost of ownership) in that the solution represents all costs
for a 3-5 year period.
Comparing base hardware and DB cost is a small part of the picture. Yes,
many business owners
only want to look at the initial or monthly payment, but whether you are
in-house or consultant, our
job is to present reliable, cost-effective solutions. The TCO studies still
put iSeries ahead of or on par
with intel based servers. see
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/conslt/ for the IDC Total Cost
of Ownership study of 9/2001.
Now if we are going to talk about bargain brand stuff-(one current client
did this and is up about 90% of the time-totally unacceptable).
btw-many have documented that SQL server does not scale well on the high end
volume.
your indication of a 7K solution indicates a low-end, few users solution.
Quite often they will put up with
a less-than-reliable solution. They are used to re-booting.
imho
jim franz