From: "James Rich" <james@eaerich.com>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 8:18 AM
Subject: Re: DB2/400 comparisons with other relational databases
(specifically Oracle and SQL Server)

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Server Dave wrote:

> Microsoft Action Pack Subscription-Plus
> The Microsoft Action Pack Subscription-Plus is designed for Partners that
> not only need the essential, up-to-date sales, marketing, and campaign
tools
> and resources to get them on track quickly for new Microsoft products,
> solutions, and marketing campaigns, but also want to receive core
Microsoft
> products such as Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Advanced Server, Microsoft SQL
> ServerT, 2000, Microsoft Small Business Server 2000, Microsoft Exchange
> Server 2000, Microsoft Office XP, Microsoft Visio® 2002, and much more!

This seems like a good reason to avoid MS SQL server right there.  It
seems to be *all* microsoft.  What if, and there are lies, d*** lies, and
benchmarks, MS Windows doesn't scale well to meet your needs?  Or what if
MS screws you (win XP comes to mind)?  Or what if the monopoly case gets
going again and MS is broken up?  All your business depends on one vendor
and that vendor can have their way with you.

An advantage of Oracle is that it runs on several platforms.  Don't like
Solaris?  Run it in linux.  Don't like that either?  Run it on Win XP.  MS
screw you with licensing?  Run it on S/390 under linux (yes, you can do
that now, too).  Now you can choose what fits your needs best.

The same advantage exists with db2.  You can run it on the AS/400, linux,
AIX, Windows, etc.  The consumer has the power to choose.  The vendors
cannot as easily screw their customers because the customer can go to
someone else.

It seems to me that Microsoft's entire business strategy lies in taking
power away from customers and making choices for them.  I won't stand for
it any longer.  This combined with Gartner's advice and other technical
failures and shortcomings in Microsoft products has resulted in our
company's decision to not recommend or support Microsoft products.

I apologize to everyone for responding and contributing to a thread which
has only a little to do with midrange computing as related to the AS/400.
I just couldn't help myself :)

James Rich
james@eaerich.com